The Ninth annual Battle of the Bay is ready to rumble. We are stoked to once again offer up the San Francisco Bay Area’s premiere paddle event & water sports festival. This year we are excited to announce our new event location is going be the iconic Aquatic Park in San Francisco. As always Battle of the Bay will attract some of the world’s top racers with $12,000 in prize money on the line for the Pro SUP division. However, Battle of the Bay is about more than just the pro racers. In fact, it is a water sports festival with racing for just about everyone.
On the bill for the weekend is……
- A Dash for the cash Pro Course for 14’ SUP’s with prize money on the line.In this new format it will be short course technical racing designed to thrill the spectators while not causing our Pro’s to blow up their bodies before the Red Bull Heavy Water Event. Prize money will be split evenly between men and women.
- A 6.5-mile Open Course with SUP, Outrigger, Prone, and Surfski Divisions,
- A 3-mile short Course with SUP, Outrigger, Prone and Surfski Divisions.
- A free-kids race (no pre registration – just show up on race day to register)
- A Saturday Event Opening party @101 Surf Sports San Rafael
- Connor Baxter SUP Clinic
- Zane Schweitzer Foil Clinic
- A Rough water Surfski Clinic with Kenny Howell
Register For Battle of the Bay Link Coming Soon,
The Open division racers will also have a challenging 6.5-mile course that see’s the paddlers racing up to the bridge near Fort Point, but does not go around the Bridge Tower. Short Course racing will also be on the open bay with racers charging up to the St Francis Yacht Club and then finishing back at Aquatic Park. Our free kids’ race will be held inside the breakwater of the park.
Spectator viewing for this race should be exceptional with a course designed not only to challenge riders but to display Stand Up Paddleboard racing to the San Francisco Waterfront. Key viewing locations would be Crissy Fields East Beach, Little Marina Green, the St. Francis Yacht Club. The Wave Organ and of course the Aquatic Park Pier. Opportunities for that iconic shot racing down the City Front with the Golden Gate Bridge providing the backdrop abound.
The fee for registration is $200 for the Pro’s, $75 for the Open, and $40 for the short course. Race day registration, or registering at the pre-race party will cost $250, $100, and $65 respectively. So please help us plan this event by registering online well before the Friday September 28th midnight deadline.
The aforementioned pre-race party will take place at 101 Surf Sports San Rafael location on Saturday September 29th. The Party starts at 3pm and rolls till we can’t take it no more. We’ll hand out gift bags and give out as much course map intel as we can. Come rub elbows with some of the top names in the paddle sports.
A special thanks to our event sponsors with an extra big Atta-boy for Starboard SUP. The brand not only steps up to support the communities we paddle in, they are also stepping up big to make sure they leave this planet better than they found it. On the beach you’ll find bottomless buckets of Hint Water and a cornucopia of Kind Bars. These two brands have been supporting local paddling events for over 5 years and it’s easy to support them right back next time you are at the grocery store. Thanks as well to local paddle shops F-One America in Sausalito, and 101 Surf Sports San Rafael/Redwood City, for all they are doing to help make this event possible. Onit pro has stepped up again as has Salt Life. The event is officially sanctioned by the WPA and Paddleleague Thanks to all our sponsors and we implore our community to support the businesses that support our sport.
The backbone of the event is once again Bluerush Boardsports who has worked hard these past eight years to develop San Francisco Bays Pinnacle of paddle of racing. Racers train hard at local club and shop races with one goal in mind. How can you Be ready to doing Battle on the San Francisco City Front? Well If your looking to no only be ready, but to excel, consider these free get-ready opportunities
- Training Paddles will be entered here.
Part of the Battle of the Bay has always been making the community we live in stronger. All our past events have served as a platform for doing just that. This year we decided to concentrate our efforts behind Ocean of Hope. Healing and helping by way of paddling. Ocean of Hope’s mission to help improve the lives of cancer patients by enabling them to participate in paddling races and events is right up our alley. If you can’t make the race feel fee to help out Ocean of Hope by clicking right here.
Event Schedule (subject to change)
Saturday October 12th
- Zane Schweitzer Foil Clinic in San Rafael –
- Connor Baxter SUP Race Clinic in San Rafael
- Kenny Howell Rough Water Surfski Clinic in San Rafael
- Pre-race registration Party @ 101 Surf Sports San Rafael location
SundayOctober 13th – Race Day
- 7:30am – 8:45am mandatory racer check in (even if you go to the pre-registration party)
- 9am Skippers Meeting Mandatory All Racers – All Divisions
- 9:30 am Kids Race Start (no pre-registration – done on site the day of racing)
- 10am Open Race SUP Start (Boats and Prones will have their own start sequences)
- 10:15 – 10:30am OC/Surfski/Prone Start
- 11:45 am – Pro SUP Start
- 2pm Awards Ceremony ( we will hold awards earlier if we can so don’t go anywhere!)
Please read all signs before leaving your car in any spot.
Please register early to help us in event planning. Thanks again and let us know any questions, We look forward to a good time on the water.
Register For Battle of the Bay Click Here
ABOUT OUR EVENT HOST
Bluerush is recognized as a leader in supporting and promoting the growth, goodwill and competitive future of Standup Paddleboard, Kite, Outrigger Canoe, Surfski and Prone Paddleboard racing.
The Bluerush brand is synonymous with all things watersports locally and globally. We are very proud to support junior race competitors and major race events such as the Molokai to Oahu and important regional events such as the Santa Cruz PaddleFest.
Register For Battle of the Bay Click Here