The ninth annual Battle of the Bay Paddle Festival is returning to its roots. This year’s event is set for Sunday October the 13th and will take place at the site of the very first battle, 9 years ago, at Mcnears Beach in San Rafael California.
And that is not the only change. Given the success of the previous events race director Stephen Pugh has decided this year’s event will be the most charitable event of them all. While all previous Battle of the Bay events had a charitable angle this year’s event looks to make it the focus of all the action. All proceeds after expenses will be donated to charity. We have chosen 4 charities to support this year.
- Ocean of Hope is the largest athletic charity campaign to that benefits the Sarcoma Alliance and looks to provide the necessary resources to deliver services to thousands of sarcoma patients and families.
- Paddle 4 Good whose focus is empowering & connecting people through inclusive, adventure-based water activities. Paddle 4 Good’s emphasis is on underserved populations and provides mentoring, life-saving education, & environmental awareness.
- Breath of Life – This foundation was founded with the intent to assist families in fighting their battle with Cystic Fibrosis.
- The Courage Project – This foundationoffers opportunities for children ages 6 to 13 to engage in outdoor adventures that challenge expectations regarding their capabilities and inspire them to overcome obstacles and grow psychologically. The goal is to help children believe in his or her ability to live their lives to the fullest.
We mentioned changes above so let’s cover a few more changes ahead. In order to maximize the charitable impact this year’s event will have no prize purse. While top level racing is still a priority this year’s action looks to build out a more family fun festival style atmosphere that celebrates the sports we love so much. Including Outrigger Canoe, SUP, Prone Paddleboarding, Foiling, and Surfski. Alongside racing for the day you’ll find clinic’s & classes, moonlight paddles, free demo days, and some pre and après paddle parties that will make this an event you will not soon forget.
The event will feature a pre-race party on Saturday October 12th alongside a bevy of clinics, classes, and free product demos from Werner & Quickblade Paddles, Starboard, SIC Maui, Infinity, and Jimmy Lewis SUP, Epic Surfski’s, and more. On Saturday evening there will also be a moonlight social paddle to get you warmed up for race day. Race day will feature Kids Racing alongside short course and long course racing. Look for some fun sprint and relay action to round out the day.
We are stoked to also be including the SUP Film Festival. On Saturday October 12th at 7pm in San Rafael we roll out the red carpet for an SUP Film extravaganza. The evening kicks off at 7pm at the Glenwood Elementary School and all the proceeds go to benefit Paddle 4 Good. Get Tickets Here
We welcome back almost all our sponsors from last year including Onit Pro, Hint Water, Kind Bar, Mike’s Paddle, 101 Surf Sports, Paddle League, and WPA. Remember to support the businesses that support our sport.
Sunday’s racing action will feature a kid’s race, short course racing (3 miles) and long course racing (7.5 miles) as well as some fun sprint and relay racing. Sprint and relay racing will be free of charge and registration will take place the day of the event. Short Course, Long Course, and kid’s racing requires pre-registration via the Paddleguru.com website. Registration closes Saturday October 12th.
A detailed schedule of events will be released shortly but you can count on the awards ceremony wrapping up by 3pm on Sunday to get your travel plans in order. Course racing will focus on the early morning of Sunday October 13th with Saturday dedicated to paddle parties and free demos.
We look forward to another great day of racing and hope to see you, and your family on the starting line.
Part of the Battle of the Bay has always been making the community we live in stronger. All our past events have served as a platform for doing just that. This year we decided to concentrate our efforts behind 4 charities. Ocean of Hope, Breath of Life, Paddle 4 Good, and the Courage Project.
Event Schedule (subject to change)
Saturday October 12th
- Seychelle SUP Race Clinic – Sign Up Here
- Pre-race registration Party @ 101 Surf Sports San Rafael location – More Information
- Free Moonlight Paddle at 101 Surf Sports – More Information
- SUP FIlm Festival @ Glenwood Elementary School San Rafael – More Information
Sunday October 13th – Race Day (subject to change)
- 7:30am – 8:45am mandatory racer check in (even if you go to the pre-registration party)
- 9am Skippers Meeting Mandatory All Racers – All Divisions
- 9:30 am Kids Race Start (no pre-registration – done on site the day of racing)
- 10am Open Race SUP Start (Boats and Prones will have their own start sequences)
- 10:15 – 10:30am OC/Surfski/Prone Start
- 11:45 am – Pro SUP Start
- 2pm Awards Ceremony ( we will hold awards earlier if we can so don’t go anywhere!)
Please read all signs before leaving your car in any spot.
ABOUT OUR EVENT HOST
Bluerush was founded in 2010 and is recognized as a leader in supporting and promoting the growth, goodwill and competitive future of Standup Paddleboard, Kite, Outrigger Canoe, Surfski and Prone Paddleboard racing.
The Bluerush brand is synonymous with all things watersports locally and globally. We are very proud to support junior race competitors and major race events such as the Molokai to Oahu and important regional events such as the Santa Cruz PaddleFest.